Capture a Portal
You capture Portals by deploying Resonators on the Portal. Resonators tune and amplify the naturally occurring XM at the Portal site, causing the Portal to grow in power.
- Choose the Portal when it is in “action range”.
- Touch DEPLOY resonator
- Select what level Resonator you want to use, and touch DEPLOY (Note: you can only use Resonators at your Access Level or lower; i.e., if you're Level 2, you can only use Level 1 and Level 2 Resonators).
Higher-level Resonators (they range from L1 to L8) cause the Portal to become even more powerful. Higher-level Portals will yield higher-level objects (Resonators, XMPs, Shields) when hacked. Higher-level Portals can also link to Portals at greater distances.
A single player can only DEPLOY a limited number of Resonators at each level on the same Portal at one time. To build a Portal to its maximum power level, you will need to coordinate with other players:
|Resonator level||Number of Resonators at this level a single player can deploy on one Portal|
|Level 1 Resonators||8|
|Level 2 Resonators||4|
|Level 3 Resonators||4|
|Level 4 Resonators||4|
|Level 5 Resonators||2|
|Level 6 Resonators||2|
|Level 7 Resonators||1|
|Level 8 Resonators||1|
Recruit some friends and start building more powerful Portals together.
Upgrade a Portal
You can upgrade Resonators with more powerful ones using the UPGRADE action:
- Select a Portal and touch DEPLOY Resonator
- Select the Resonator you wish to upgrade from the rotating carousel
- Select UPGRADE to replace it with a more powerful (higher Level) one from your inventory