Congratulations on being a Mission author. This is a privilege for trusted agents who abide by the Mission Criteria, and excessive rejections or spammy submissions may result in your Mission authoring permissions being suspended.
To get started on your first Ingress Mission, visit the Mission Authoring Tool and select CREATE NEW MISSION. At this time, the ability to author Missions is available to all Agents who are L7.
In addition to knowing the basics on how to create a Mission, be sure to understand the Mission criteria to ensure your Mission gets accepted upon review.
Mission types and Mission details
Ingress Missions challenge Agents to seek out sequences of culturally or aesthetically significant sites, called Waypoints. How Agents access these Waypoints is up to you:
- SEQUENTIAL - VISIBLE: Agents will be told where the Waypoints are and must visit them in order.
- SEQUENTIAL - HIDDEN: Agents can only see the first Waypoint location; all the rest are hidden and only revealed via location clues. Agents must visit Waypoints in order.
- ANY ORDER: All Waypoint locations are visible to Agents, and Agents can visit Waypoints in any order to successfully complete your Mission.
Once you’ve selected the type of Mission you’d like to create, add:
- A Mission name (required).
- A description (required); Agents will read this and decide whether or not to try your Mission.
- A Mission icon, which is optional, but used in the MISSIONS tab as well as for the Medal in Agent profiles for those who complete the Mission. If you publish without an image at first and then add one later, Agents who have already completed your Mission will see the updated image in their Agent profile.
Mission Waypoints can either be Ingress Portals or Field Trip cards- both are included in the Mission Authoring tool. Orange circles with numbers represent clusters of Waypoints in a small area, and to see the individual Waypoints, you’ll need to zoom in on the map.
To find a Waypoint for your Mission:
- Use the Search titles and descriptions in map bar if you have a certain title, point of interest or key word in mind; note that this will only search the area of the map you have open on the lefthand side.
- Use the Go to location search bar within the map to find a specific address or cross streets, and once you’ve found the general location, click on Waypoints in the area to see their title and description.
Note that your Mission must start with an Ingress Portal - the first Waypoint cannot be a Field Trip card.
When looking for Waypoints, be sure to check out other live Missions in the area by clicking Live Missions in the bottom lefthand corner to make sure you're not crafting a Mission that someone else has already made:
You must give each Waypoint an objective. For both hidden Waypoints and sequential Missions, the Agent needs to complete the first Waypoint objective before they can move on to the next Waypoint:
|View this Field Trip Waypoint|
|Hack this Portal|
|Install a Mod on this Portal||Installing any Mod will count as successful completion of this objective; at this time, there is no way to specify which Mod Agents are required to deploy. Note that if the Waypoint is a Portal and it’s not owned by the Agent’s faction, they will need to capture it first to install a Mod.|
|Capture this Portal for your Faction||If the Portal is already owned by the Agent’s faction, installing or upgrading a Resonator, or installing a mod will also allow them to pass this Waypoint.|
|Create Link from this Portal||Creating any Link will count as successful completion of this objective; at this time, there is no way to specify which Portal Agents are required to link to. Note that if the Waypoint is a Portal and it’s not owned by the Agent’s faction, they will need to capture it first to create a Link.|
|Create a Field with this Portal||Creating any Field will count as successful completion of this objective; at this time, there is no way to specify exactly which other Portals must comprise the field. Note that if the Waypoint is a Portal and it’s not owned by the Agent’s faction, they will need to capture it first to create a Field.|
|Enter the passphrase||
Submit Mission for review
After adding your desired Waypoints, you will have the opportunity to preview your Mission before clicking Submit Mission >>.
Once submitted, your Mission will show up as (In Review). Review times will vary and may take up to a couple of weeks. After it has been reviewed, the status will change from Submitted to Published (if accepted) or Draft (if rejected). You will receive an email letting you know whether it was accepted or rejected.
Account deletion, ownership transfer and faction change
Unfortunately, at this time, we’re not able to transfer ownership of Missions from one account to another.
If you delete your Ingress account or delete your entire Google account, Missions you have created will not be deleted; however, your codename will no longer be associated with these Missions when they’re shown to players.
In addition, if you undergo a Faction change and are reset to L1 with 0AP, you will lose access to the Mission Author Tool until you reach L7 again.
- Mission passphrases don’t accept all language characters: we’re aware of this issue, and we’re working on adding more language support.